Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Measurable Goal.

I'm happy now, I have a purpose and a measurable goal to help the Tuke. In 2009 I am going to run a campaign to attempt to have the Tuke elected as New Zealand's Bird of the Year.



The bird of the year has been run since 2005 by Forest and Bird and I checked in yesterday with Helen Bain, their communications manager in Wellington, to check on Tuke's voting history. Helen wished me luck, and told me I would need it.



"In 2008 (the Tuke) got 10 votes and in 2007 it got four. (I don’t have the figures before that.)"



So there is definite potential for progress!



I came to this goal the long way round, and it is only an intermediate step, because being more widely known in itself will not improve the endangered status of the Tuke. I originally was thinking about a predator trapping program in Arthurs Pass, specifically the Otira Basin, but there are complications with that, which need to be worked through, principally the effects of mice, which may be exacerbated, if stoats are trapped for - but that project is lurking in the background to be thought about and discussed more.



But its important to have a measurable goal and this is it for the meantime. Any strategies or ideas welcome that may ensure Tuke's election, but I have a few up my sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment